October 7, 2002
- Fred MacLennan, President
- Alan Asselstine, Treasurer
- Peter Brimacombe, Secretary
- Gisèle Loiselle-Branch, Director (memberships)
- Nancy Seaby, Director (transportation and editorial)
- Maria McRae, Community Services Centre
Regional Councillor, Wendy Stewart, submitted a report on the following:
- Ottawa 20/20 New Official Plan
- 2003 Budget
- Hunt Club Riverside Community Service Centre
- Proposed Animal Control By-law
- Pesticide Use on Private Property
- Community Grant Programs
- School Zone Safety Awareness Campaign
- Groundwater Mapping Study
- River Ward Development Proposals October 2002
Maria McRae reported on the opening of the Hunt Club Riverside Community Services Centre (HC/R CSC). The Community Services Centre is directly funded by the City of Ottawa, there are three groups which make up the Community Services Centre: a volunteer Board of Directors, staff and general volunteers. The Community Services Centre is located in the A & P Plaza beside the Shoppers Drug Mart but carries out some programs at the Community Centre, the Riverside Churches on Riverside Drive and the Heritage Log Cabin off Uplands Drive. The Community Services Centre offers services and programs that are of practical use to the Hunt Club/Riverside Community. There is a Co-operative Playgroup, a Mother Goose Program which offers songs and stories for children and their parents and the Heritage Log Cabin Program which offers games and crafts for children 6 to 12. There is a Heart Check Clinic and an Investment Workshop. For seniors there are table games and a crafts in a social context. On October 16 there is a clinic on heart health for women and on October 28 there is a clinic on prostrate health for men.
Maria McRae led discussion on the plan to expand the Hunt Club Riverside Community Centre, There was discussion on the conflict between adding more parking spots and preserving green space, a Community Parade and community safety and graffiti.
Fred McLennan led discussion on the Annual General Meeting (AGM). It was decided to hold it at the next regular meeting on Monday November 4, 2002 at 19:30. The meeting would be advertised and the topic of special interest would be ‘Strategy for a Safer Community’.
Next HCCO meeting: Mon 4 Nov 2002 at 7:30pm