June 6, 2005
- Fred MacLennan, President
- Peter Brimacombe, Secretary
- Alan Asselstine, Director
- Gisèle Loiselle-Branch, Director
- James Freeman
- Edith Freeman
- Maria McRae, City councillor
- Pat Murphy, City councillor’s office
- Tom Collins, The News
Motion: Whereas the HCCO wants to maximize the greenspace in the Southern Corridor and avoid costly litigation at the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB), be it resolved that the HCCO encourages the City and the NCC to continue to work together to find a viable solution. Moved by Alan Asselstine, seconded by Gisèle Loiselle-Branch. Carried.
Motion: To change the HCCO bank account from the Bank of Nova Scotia to the Alterna Bank (formerly CS CO-OP). Signatures on banking transactions will be Alan Asselstine, Treasurer and Fred McLennan President. Moved by Alan Asselstine, seconded by Gisèle Loiselle-Branch. Carried.
Maria McRae presented her report.
Peter Brimacombe: We have to have an efficient infrastructure to blunt the disastrous effects of peak oil. Once we reach peak oil there will be huge price increases in energy especially gasoline and diesel fuel and there will be shortages and electrical black-outs. Development in the Southern Corridor is an important part of an efficient infrastructure.
- taxpayers are paying more for public transit while riders are paying less!
- priorities for Urban Natural Areas are
- land along the Rideau River
- the headwaters of Sawmill Creek which extends out to Leitrim
- the Southern Corridor
- Regarding the Southern Corridor, the community has always accepted infill as legitimate because it makes the best use of existing infrastructure.
Maria McRae: needs direction from the Hunt Club Community Organization because talks with the NCC raise the expectation that some kind of deal can be worked out this summer.
Gisèle Loiselle-Branch: a new medical centre on Broadview in Toronto is attractive and practical, the City of Ottawa should consider this as an example of efficient infrastructure.
Alan Asselstine: The HCCO recommends that the City study a 3 way stop at the south-end of Plante and McCarthy. What is being done?
Maria McRae: Traffic counts will be done.
Next meeting: Mon 12 Sep 2005 at 7:30pm