The Sky’s the Limit for the Hunt Club Neighbourhood – Let’s SoarDec 1, 2020 - By Christine Johnson
What do you love about living or doing business in the Hunt Club neighbourhood?
What would you change?
These two pressing questions (yes, really!) were the hottest topics during the Hunt Club Community Association (HCCA)’s September Zoom meetings, and the debate was certainly lively!
From the abundance of green space to its proximity to shops and services, the airport and downtown, to the incredible diversity of its neighbourhoods, new and seasoned residents alike agree that Hunt Club is a great place to live.
But we also agree it could be even better.
- Imagine if we had a covered, year-round outdoor central meeting place that could host events like a farmer’s market, a winter holiday/Christmas market, outdoor yoga or even open-air concerts (when safe to do so)?
- Given that many of us are spending more time at home, how about some independent coffee shops, bakeries, and a greater selection of bricks-and-mortar eateries and pop-up food vendors and food trucks?
- A library branch that could do double-duty as a cultural venue within our Hunt Club-Riverside community centre?
- At least one community garden per neighourhood – green thumbs not required!
- More amenities for the fabulous parks in our area – including Uplands Park, Cahill Park and Owl Park
- – such as chess/checkers tables, performance spaces and gazebos to provide shelter from the sun/snow/rain…while savouring a gourmet ice cream or hot chocolate from a nearby vendor?
- More things to do for the different age groups and resident profiles that make up our fantastic part of Ottawa!
As you can see, there are lots of opportunities – and spaces – for our neighbourhood to grow and expand, and there is no shortage of enthusiasm to help it along!
To borrow from the movie Field of Dreams, our unofficial motto is, “if you build it, they will come!” (If you haven’t seen it, check it out!) In fact, there’s another opportunity: community movie nights in the park…
The sky truly is the limit, but we need to hear from you, our Hunt Club residents and businesses, about what you want our community to be.
If you have ideas or resources and want to help our community grow and prosper, we’d love to hear from you!
If you want to meet us and see your HCCA in action, we’d love to have you attend our monthly meetings (held via Zoom) the first Monday of each month. Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be in touch! Tip: no one has to know you’re logging in PJs!
Not ready to commit? No problem! Get to know us and what we are up to: