Meetings & Documents
 

September 8, 1998


Monthly Meeting
September 8, 1998


Attendees:

  • Fred McLennan, President
  • Art Miskew, Vice-President
  • Peter Vasdi, Secretary
  • Fred Winters, Director (recreation/social)
  • Anne Brandel, Director (recreation/social)
  • Nancy Seaby, Director (transit)
  • Gisèle Loiselle-Branch, Director (representing Sequoia Coop and Twyford-Cahill area)
  • Shelley Parlow, Director (representing the Hunt Club Corridor Protection Association)
  • Robert Staples, Director (representing Quinterra/Riverwood Landings (west of Riverside))
  • Peter Brimacombe, (Resident, Western Community)
  • Kathy Ablett, (Resident, Hunt Club Estates)
  • Jan Duncan, The News

MOTIONS

Motion by Peter Vasdi to ensure HCCO’s website for another year (until Sep 99) by having the HCCO contribute $100 to the National Capital Freenet. Seconded by Anne Brandel. Voted and carried.

Motion by Anne Brandel to have HCCO contribute $100 to the HCRCC Oct 98 Hallowe’en party. Seconded by Shelley Parlow. Voted and carried.

Motion by Shelley Parlow to write letter to help Quinterra modify the site plans for the proposed apartment buildings on west side of Riverside Dr.

KEY ISSUES

The following summarizes the issues discussed at the 8 Sep 98 meeting of the Hunt Club Community Organization (HCCO) at the Hunt Club Riverside Community Centre (HCRCC).

City councillor, Karin Howard, submitted a newsletter reporting on the following:

  • McCarthy Road Sidewalks
  • Property Assessment Appeal Deadline
  • Third Set of Open Houses – Revitalization of Lansdowne Park
  • Leisure, Arts and Heritage Programs and Facilities Study Meetings
  • Central Experimental Farm
  • Committee on Adjustment Hearing
  • Congratulations to Cognos, Paul Greer and City Staff
  • Saturn Playgrounds ’98
  • Memo to John Moser re Hunt Club Transportation Issues

Schoolchildren crossing McCarthy illegally at Twyford:

  • People should take a walk there between 8-9am weekdays, and observe what is happening, especially in winter when kids wait behind snowbanks to dash across the road.
  • Pros and cons to putting a crosswalk across McCarthy there, or between Paul Anka and Cahill.
  • Put flashing school children signs, perhaps flashing only in mornings and afternoons when children are going to/coming from school?
  • Send letter to City; call first to explain issue, and let City respond with a solution.
  • Educate parents.
  • City policy is to wait until 3 accidents have happened before acting.
  • For more information, contact Gisèle Loiselle-Branch.

Corner of Plante and McCarthy (northern):

  • Light changes only if car is waiting to turn south (left) from Plante onto McCarthy.
  • Cars turning north (right) usually must turn into oncoming hidden traffic going quite fast (80k or more).
  • Peter Brimacombe to contact Wendy Stewart at 560-1223 to see if the Region can put the speed detection trailer on McCarthy.
  • Innovative suggestion: Use electronic technology to transmit speeds immediately to car owner’s insurance company.
  • For more information, contact Art Miskew or Peter Brimacombe.

HCCO memberships for the new fiscal year 98-99:

  • Fred McLennan volunteered Bill Royds to sell HCCO memberships at the next HCRCC community festival on Sat 12 Sep 98.
  • For more information, contact Bill Royds.

Public Advisory Committee meeting for the Hunt Club Neighborhood Plan held 2 Sep 98:

  • One more meeting scheduled before an open house to the general public. Next meeting will be held once Bob Spicer has finalized the report that was presented in draft form to the PAC.
  • Open house is to be a presentation from the City to the public:
  • Invite Jim Watson, Diane Deans (City chair of planning), and CBC.
  • Peter Hume and Bob Chiarelli made an election promise to pursue the land trust option of saving the Southern Corridor greenspace between Hunt Club and Riverside Park.
  • Try to negotiate a location for the open house in Hunt Club, rather than Riverside Park where the City is proposing to hold it.
  • Try and reserve the HCRCC for the week of 9 Dec, which is when HCRCC may have some openings.
  • See if a school can give us the space.
  • Last resort: Tudor Hall.
  • Shelley had concerns about City’s sincerity:
    • Objective of zoning is to protect the community; however, Bob Spicer’s interpretation seemed to be “do what the developer wants”.
    • Lack of consultation with PAC members. No questions, motions, votes. All PAC members should write independent letters to the City, expressing opinions that were not heard at the PAC meeting.
    • Feeling that community’s needs were irrelevent to the Region’s.
    • Feeling that the City’s concept of the future was “tomorrow”, while Hunt Club’s is “next 10-15 years”.
    • Area’s need for institutional structures (schools, old age homes) was ignored.
    • City’s definition of “light residential” was actually “medium residential”.
    • If the NOSS rates a meadow area as “moderate” in importance, that means “not important”.
  • A biologist has assessed the plants in the Southern Corridor. There are 159 species of ….
  • Need to present City with an organized coherent plan that accepts reasonable proposals but insists that controls be established and implemented that protect the interests of Hunt Club residents into the future (their future).
  • Other alternatives, such as creating a nature trail to link 4160 Riverside Dr. with Quinterra and the Southern Corridor, and/or convincing the federal government to adopt the Southern Corridor as a heritage site based on poets who lived in the area, and their poetry.
  • For more information, contact Shelley Parlow.

Hunt Club Creek:

  • Interpretive signs along the creek that show an aerial photo and describe the watershed, its usefulness, and how it can be maintained.
  • For more information, contact Shelley Parlow.

Quinterra community association:

  • Objective of Quinterra is to pursue issues that most directly affect themselves and not the Hunt Club community as a whole.
  • The two organization could work together: HCCO supporting Quinterra when needed and people from Quinterra attending HCCO meetings to maintain contact and communication.
  • Best way of associating Quinterra and the HCCO: as a subcommittee of the HCCO? as a separate organization?
  • For more information, contact Shelley Parlow.

Traffic study scheduled for the proposed apartment buildings west of Riverside Dr. after the buildings are finished, not before.

Support for group handling violence among local teens?

Next annual general meeting tentatively scheduled for 19 Oct.

Shelley has copies of the results of the safety audit she organized.

HCCO motion to freeze development on areas of land that the NOSS still has to study was shot down by the City.

Support for group handling violence among local teens?

The Hunt Club area has more than fulfilled its part of the Regional plan to infill existing areas with development; so why should we continue to infill to our disadvantage?

Support for group handling violence among local teens?

Most recent APETIS meeting (re the Hunt Club Airport Parkway access ramps was held on 12 Aug 98.

IOGEN to expand its research facility SW of Hunt Club Rd. and Bowesville. Blueprints available from Fred McLennan.

Hunt Club Airport Parkway ramps due to open shortly; any chance of inviting past HCCO presidents to the opening?

For more information, call Peter Vasdi.

Next meeting: Mon 5 Oct 98 at 7:30pm