Energy Efficiency Day – October 6thOct 6, 2021 - By John D. Reid
October 6th is Energy Efficiency Day. Here are five things you can easily do to save energy and its cost.
1. Insulate. Reduce heat loss through switch plates and outlets by as much as 80%. Get a package of 10 or more foam backings for way less than $10.
2. Insulate. Seal holes, gaps and cracks with polyurethane insulating foam sealant. Sprays into gaps and cracks up to 1″ (25 mm) in diameter, It expands to fill the shape of the gaps. Find a can at your hardware store for $10 to $15.
3. Keep your car longer, especially if it’s relatively fuel-efficient. Spread out the CO2 emitted in the manufacturing process over more years. The faster you replace a car, the more CO2 it emits.
4. According to Hydro One “phantom” or “standby” power, could account for up to 10 percent of your home’s energy use. The average Canadian home has 25 or more electronic devices that use phantom power, costing approximately $150 a year in electricity. Find out more at https://www.hydroone.com/saving-money-and-energy/residential/tips-and-tools/phantom-power.
5. Mining for cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum uses a lot of energy and is contributing to climate change. Consider more eco-friendly cryptocurrency options like Nano, Cardano and Hedera Hashgraph.