January 4, 2021
- Brian Wade, President
- Sue McCarthy, Vice-President
- Sabrine Barakat, Treasurer
- Jason Dubue, Secretary
- Christine Johnson, Past President
- John Reid, Director
- Kat Gracie, Director
- Lynette Joseph-Sankey, Director
- Marilyn Koch, Director
- Peter Foulger, Director
- Zivana Pavic, Director
- Riley Brockington, Councillor
- France Picard
- Ijeoma Udechukwu
- Cathy Bourguignon
- Barb Shea
- Margaret Skulska
- May Douba
- Matt Page
- Marie Ly
- Muhammad Nasir Aziz
- Norman & Patricia McLeod
- Peter Brimacombe
- Lorraine Busby
- Zane Oueja
Regrets: Abiodun Mosuro, Director • Noella Butler • Sophie Reussner-Pazur
1. Welcome and Introductions
Brian welcomed attendees, and everyone presented a round of introductions
2. Approval of the Agenda
a. Agenda: January 4, 2021
- Added “Environment” to “Other”
- Suggestion to add “Committee Reports” to all future meetings
Motion: To accept the agenda for this meeting.
Carried by vote
3. Approval of Minutes
a. Minutes: December 7, 2020
Motion: To approve the previous meeting minutes.
Moved by Sue McCarthy, seconded by Jason Dubue, passed
4. Councillor’s Report
a. Councillor Riley Brockington’s report
The Councillor submitted a written report:
- The City of Ottawa provided their vaccine strategy. more info
- Bell is installing fibre optic conduit in the Quinterra area.
- City of Ottawa selling 31 acres of vacant, unprotected land – 4161 Riverside Drive.
- Sawmill Creek
- Beavers have been more active, damaging trees. More trees to be replanted.
- Report of oily liquid leaking into Sawmill creek. Was not there when inspected.
- Coyotes habitat McCarthy Woods, east to Linton Park – Please do NOT feed them!
- An issue mentioned was for more places to put animal waste. Riley replied that the City is slowly amending it’s waste containers in parks.
- 3-way stop sign for Owl / Pigeon intersection. Requesting a letter of endorsement from HCCA for Riley to use in the matter.
- McCarthy Park amenities: Adding lighting for basketball court and paved surface for a permanent ice rink. Riley would like dialogue about other amenities, what’s reasonable and affordable for other changes in the parks?
- Christine Johnson and May Douba interested
- Rename Uplands Park – nominate 3 people to join Riley and 3 other community leaders to review the process of renaming a park and come up with names.
- Peter Foulger, Sue McCarthy & Zane Oueja volunteered.
- Brian suggested reserving a spot for John Sankey, and will follow up.
Motion: To approve the endorsement letter for a 3-way stop sign at Owl/Pigeon.
Moved by Zivana Pavic, seconded by Sabrine Barakat, carried by vote.
a. Treasurer's Report
Brian presented the Treasurer’s Report:
Motion: To accept the Treasurer’s Report.
Moved by Sabrine Barakat, seconded by Sue McCarthy, motion carried.
b. HCCA Budget 2021
Motion: To adopt the 2021 Budget.
Moved by Sue McCarthy, seconded by Sabrine Barakat, motion carried.
a. Library Services
- Long term goal of community centre expansion with second floor dedicated to a library, and fitness and meeting space on lower level.
- Christine: Call for photos of people/families in the community, reading books.
- Library committee meeting this month with Riley, OPL, and an aim for funding sources.
- Riley added some advice regarding expansion:
- Short-Medium term: identify realistic programming services we want.
- Long term discussion: Needs assessment—survey the community, what other services are missing (ie Swimming pool)? Be clear on what we want to build.
- Lynette Sankey expressed interest to be engaged with Needs Assessment
- Zivana would like to see a separate item in the agenda, for needs assessment.
b. Defining 4 Sections of Hunt Club
- Quinterra Woods, Hunt Club Woods, Heart of Hunt Club, Owl Park.
- Confirm boundaries with other community associations.
- HCCA Representation on school councils, to help convey community messaging.
- Norman: extremely important forums but have their own agenda and issues.
- Proposed naming of Environmental Champions (youth). Earth Day activity?
- Park Angels did not consider themselves an official project under HCCA.
- Sue stepped forward to lead on Stream Watch and Uplands Park.
- Christine will lead on Paul Landry and Community Gardens.
- John Reid will lead on Climate Change/Energy.
Motion: To appoint John Reid as Chair of the Environmental group.
Moved by Sue McCarthy, seconded by Christine Johnson, motion carried.
7. Adjournment of Meeting
a. Next meeting: February 1, 2021
Meeting adjourned at 21:10,
Next meeting will be on Monday February 1, 2021 at 19:00